Three summers ago, Zackeria Lovick became concerned after learning from his mother Malarie that many children in the Fresno area struggle to afford necessary school supplies. That was all the information he needed to jump into action.
Beginning with an initial donation of 17 filled backpacks for students at Del Mar Elementary, Zackeria has now dedicated countless hours to collecting, organizing, and raising money to buy school supplies for over 300 children over the past two school years through Zackeria’s School Supply Drive.
If you’d just met Zackeria, he’d likely strike you as a typical kid. He loves playing baseball, rooting for his favorite pro team (the Giants), and being goofy and having fun with his friends. However, it’s not just any child that, at the age of 7, creates his own non-profit to help other children.
Zackeria’s mom, Malarie says she especially enjoys being present when he goes to hand out the donated backpacks filled with supplies to children in need. “They [the kids] are extremely grateful, but it’s really all about kids helping kids. No one is better than the other and they generally are very goofy. Typical children!”
Currently, Zackeria is in the middle of a big push to collect enough supplies this summer to be able to provide for an entire school within Fresno Unified. He will be announcing the selected school within the week (his mom helps with that process, and she works closely with school administrators to identify where needs may be greatest).
If you’d like to help Zackeria with his big goal of helping an entire school by the start of the school year (August 14) he’d love your support!
Here are 3 ways you can help
- Donate money. You can donate through Zackeria’s Crowdrise page, and all of the money will be used to purchase school supplies.
- Donate school supplies. Purchase new school supplies yourself, and arrange for a pick up by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set up a drive. Get your church, community organization, family, or group of friends involved in organizing a drive that benefits Zackeria’s efforts. (You can also email Zackeria at the address above to coordinate this.)
FresYes is proud to have kids like Zackeria call Fresno their home. Way to go Zackeria! Thank you for all you do.
Latest posts by Natali Carrera (see all)
- CArtHop on the newly reopened Fulton Street: Where cool people eat lunch - November 15, 2017
- Help FresYes make a difference for children through the Angel Tree program - November 10, 2017
- 10 things I learned at the FUSD State of Education luncheon - November 2, 2017